Here will be listed some simple ways to contribute to the Cytomine project. As a Free and Open Source project, your modifications will improve Cytomine for every Cytomine user. As our code is hosted on GitHub, the contributions are proposed with Pull Requests. See here and here for information about Pull Requests.
Due to the complexity of the platform, it will not be easy for a beginner to fix some of the GitHub tickets. However, there are simpler but useful modifications that can be done.
- Report bugs. If you encounter a bug during your utilization of Cytomine, please report it to the Cytomine team via the GitHub repository, contact form or via email.
- Fix typos. If you see a typo, a translation error or something similar, you can contribute by fixing it and propose your modification to the developer team. See below for translation modifications.
- Add functions to the external clients. All the REST entrypoints of Cytomine are not wrapped in the clients. If you need a features that is not supported by the client, you can extend the client and then make a pull request.
- Develop a new client. If your favorite programming language doesn't have a dedicated client, you can start the development of a new one. We will be happy to guide you.
- Share your AI algorithms that can be plugged to Cytomine.
- Contribute to our Open Access Collection. The Cytomine cooperative maintains a collection composed of high quality images dedicated to show the advantages of Cytomine and image analysis. You can contribute to an Open Access project by sharing your most beautiful high resolution images under a free licence.
The Cytomine Web-UI supports the language internationalization. Currently, only English and French are supported but you can easily help us to extend it to other languages.
To add a new language to Cytomine, you need to modify the translations.csv file
- You can get it by cloning the GitHub repository or by downloading only the translation file available at this link.
- As it is a csv file, you can open it in a text editor, a code editor or a spreadsheet as Excel or Libre Office Calc.
- In the first row, you will find the language key (en for English, fr for French).
- If the language already exists, all the word in this language will be in the same column as the language key.
- To add a new language, add the key of this language (See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes to find the ISO 639-1 code for your language) in the first line of the first free column.
- You can now start to translate the lines into your languages
- One you are done you can share your modifications with us via the GitHub repository, contact form or via email.
Note that every word not translated will be displayed in english in the UI.